Friday 27 May 2011

[Photography] ImpossibleProject PX680 Beta.

Borrowed Time.

Drain You.Unbroken.Sky Chaser High.Now Is The Colour.

The ImpossibleProject has released new colour film for Polaroid cameras. Here is a selection of my shots from my first pack of the beta release of the film, taken back in April. I have 2 packs left of the beta and will be buying some of the FirstFlush when I can.

Shots were taken on a Polaroid SX-70 Alpha camera, with the ND filter over the electronic-eye removed to compensate of the faster ISO of the film (it's ISO 600ish and was deigned for use in Polaroid 600 cameras, rather than the SX-70 which is designed to use film of approx ISO125).  Removing the ND filter and turning the exposure compensation dial all the way to darken gave me the exact colour/contrast balance I wanted.

The film is excellent, so much more than I could have hoped for less than a year after they launched the FirstFlush of the (very) experimental PX600 and PX100 monochrome films.  TheImpossibleProject have learnt a lot in that time.  There seems to be a much better UV protection in place, less chemical leaks and much better longevity of the final image.  Also, this film produces a brilliant dynamic range.  Pure blacks are placed alongside clean whites; with shadow and highlight detail up there with the much-missed Polaroid 600 consumer film that so many of us know from childhood.  In fact, if anything I would say this film has a stronger contrast that suits my images more that 600.  I'm impressed, as I have been with most of the Impossible films I have used over the last 12 months.  Sure, there are some imperfections still.  You can see those small white dots in the images? Im assured by Impossible that these are only on the beta and wont be on the final releases. Same goes to the small bits of "flame" light leaks.

I really must get out and shoot those other 2 packs....

No comments:

Post a Comment